If you’re stuck in a skincare rut this winter, don’t simply hide out until the weather breaks. Here are a few easy yet impactful tips for soothing dry, itchy winter skin and restoring a smooth, even complexion.
What Causes Dry Winter Skin?
To better care for your skin in the wintertime, it can be helpful to understand what’s causing redness, irritation and flaking. When the air-humidity levels drop in the colder months, there’s less moisture available in the air to keep your skin smooth and soft.
Additionally, cold winter winds can chap your skin, just as too much summer sun can chap your lips. On top of this, you’re probably running your heat on high in your home, car and office this time of year, which can dry out your skin even more.
Winter Skincare Tips
To avoid the winter skin blues, follow these tips for happy, healthy skin:
- Upgrade your moisturizer. You might need a heavier night cream in addition to your day cream in the winter.
- Use a humidifier. This adds moisture back into the air to help counteract the drying effect of the winter air and heating elements in your home.
- Avoid long, hot showers. They might feel nice, but steamy, hot showers can dry out your skin.
- Choose skin-friendly fabrics. If you have sensitive skin or a condition like eczema or psoriasis, some fabrics can be irritating, especially in the winter. Choose soft fabrics like cotton and silk, and avoid more abrasive options like wool.
- Don’t forget sunscreen. Even though the sun’s not shining, your skin is still susceptible to sun damage in the winter. Wear sunscreen year-round for healthy, radiant skin.