Linda Lehmusvirta, producer of the popular show that also airs on nine other PBS stations elsewhere in the U.S., brought a video crew to the garden Oct. 31. Besides featuring the flowers, trees, plants, fountains and the wall and other markers honoring garden donors, Lehmusvirta interviewed Kate Henderson, UMCB VP and chief operating officer; Michelle Ryerson, UMCB chief nursing officer; Elizabeth Powell, Seton network chaplain; Chris Attal, UMCB director of development; and others.
The former gravel lot last year was turned into an 8,400-square-foot oasis for patients, family members, medical staff and others seeking quiet, serenity and a momentary respite from their stress. The garden was funded by donations from Seton associates, volunteers and leaders as well as others – including state officials who were close to Texas State Rep. Edmund Kuempel, a popular Seguin lawmaker who was a UMCB patient after a 2009 heart attack and was touched by the dedication of medical personnel who treated him. In appreciation, he helped spearhead Tranquility Garden fundraising efforts until he died in November 2010 from a subsequent cardiac arrest.
His son who succeeded him in state Legislature, current Rep. John Kuempel, R-Seguin, also is interviewed in the KLRU story. He and his family, along with civic leaders such as former University of Texas basketball coach Jody Conradt, also led the fundraising efforts.
KLRU will air the half-hour Central Texas Gardener show featuring the Tranquility Garden at:
- Noon and 4 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 9.
- 9 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 10.
- 5:30 a.m. Monday, Feb. 11.
The show also will air on KLRU Q at:
- 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 12.
- 7 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 13.
- 9:30 a.m. Friday, Feb. 15.
This Central Texas Gardener also will air on:
- KLRN/San Antonio at 11 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 9.
- KNCT/Killeen and Waco at 1:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 9.
- KAMU/College Station at 5 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 9.
- KPBT/Midland at 12:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 11.
- KBDI/Denver at 2 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 10 and 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 13.
- KRSC/Claremore, Okla., at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 9, and 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 12
This show also will be aired at various times on KTWU/Topeka, Kansas, UNCMX/Raleigh-Durham, N.C., and K32EO in Colorado Springs, Colo.