At Ascension Seton, our Spiritual Care Team consist of Chaplains trained to help patients and families of all beliefs, including those who do not belong to an specific religion or tradition. As Spiritual Caregivers, Chaplains offer a comforting presence and a listening ear for the things that matter most to you and your family. In addition, we can attempt to connect you with representatives of your specific religious group to offer prayer, rituals, or sacraments related to your tradition.
Our regular office hours are 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday -Friday. For urgent requests after 5 p.m. or on weekends, please call the operator at 512-324-1000, or “0” if you are calling from inside the hospital, and request the on-call chaplain.
Dell Seton Medical Center at The University of Texas
Ascension Seton Medical Center Austin
Ascension Seton Hays
Ascension Seton Williamson
Ascension Seton Northwest
Dell Children’s Medical Center
Description of Services
- Spiritual assessments
- Critical Incident Stress Debriefings
- Ethical decision-making
- Religious sacraments (including anointing, emergency baptisms, and communion)
- End of life support
- Assistance with healthcare decision making and advance directive paperwork
- Catholic Mass
- Memorial services
- Eucharistic minister training
About our Chaplains
Chaplains at Ascension Seton meet the following requirements:
- Graduated theological degree from an accredited school
- Current ecclesiastical endorsement by faith group
- Ordination or commissioning to function in a ministry of spiritual care
- Four units (1600 hours) of ACPE accredited Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE)
- Board Certification (within 2 years of hire) by a nationally recognized spiritual care accrediting association ( ACPE, APC, NAJC, NACC, CAPPE)
At Ascension Seton our Catholic heritage is important us. Chaplains can assist you in obtaining access to the Sacraments, in particular Holy Communion and the Sacrament of the Sick. Catholic Mass is also regularly celebrated in out hospital chapels. Please call the Ascension Seton operator at 512-324-1000 for the most up-to-date Mass Schedule.
We encourage local clergy to visit their hospitalized members. Please call the chaplain office if you need any assistance. We also offer parking passes to local clergy members. To obtain a clergy parking pass, please visit the chaplain office during weekday business hours.