About Dell Seton
Dell Seton Medical Center at The University of Texas is a teaching hospital and the centerpiece of a new health district in downtown Austin. It’s so much more than just a new building. From day one, the medical center has redefined the future of healthcare in our community.
360° Virtual Reality Tour
What’s a Teaching Hospital?
Dell Seton is one of four teaching hospitals for Dell Medical School at The University of Texas at Austin, which will be built around the new hospital. As a teaching hospital, the medical center trains and attracts more talented and specialized doctors to the Austin area, improving care throughout Central Texas. At this new Ascension Seton hospital and three existing ones (Ascension Seton Medical Center Austin, Ascension Seton Shoal Creek and Dell Children’s Medical Center of Central Texas), doctors train other doctors, conduct groundbreaking research and implement new treatments. Through education, training and research, Dell Seton serves as a vital link to the future of care in our community.
- New home for our region’s only Level I Trauma Center for adults
- Approximately 517,000-square-foot facility, entirely new from the ground up
- Designed to support medical education and collaboration among doctors, nurses, researchers, staff, students, patients and families
- 211 beds in operation (including 135 Acute Care & 60 Critical Care/Universal beds), designed to add up to 135 beds in the future
- More operating rooms and more space for diagnostic and therapeutic support
- 15,000 new jobs to be created, directly and indirectly, throughout a new medical district
- Pedestrian and bike friendly campus designed to attain LEED certification as a green building
- Advanced Wound Care Clinic
Transforming Healthcare Delivery, Consistent with Ascension Seton’s Mission
Delivering the best possible care with the dignity and respect everyone deserves is a mission that dates back to 1902, when the Daughters of Charity opened the original Ascension Seton Infirmary in Austin. Building a new teaching hospital in concert with a medical school allows Ascension Seton to design in features that enhance the way doctors are taught and care is delivered.