An important part of navigating the healthcare system is how well you and your doctor communicate. We suggest following the Ask Me 3® program run by the National Patient Safety Foundation. This program suggests three questions to ask your healthcare provider during a visit:
- What is my main problem?
- What do I need to do?
- Why is it important for me to do this?
Asking questions can help you take on a more engaged role as an active member of your healthcare team.
Remember, You Are in Charge of Your Health
- If you don’t understand your doctor’s instructions, speak up. It’s okay to say, “This is new to me. Can you explain that one more time?”
- Sometimes it helps to bring a friend or family member with you to help you remember what was said during your doctor’s appointment.
- Prepare by making a list of health questions or concerns you want to talk about with your doctor or nurse.
- Bring a list of all your medicines to your appointment.