An Intensive Outpatient Program is a group therapy program for people with many different types of issues including depression, anxiety and drug or alcohol use. You may be a good fit for an IOP if you are just getting out of the hospital or if you have tried other kinds of treatments and they have not worked for you.
Things you may be wondering about IOPs
How will I get there?
- Transportation is not typically provided to get to and from an IOP; you will need to be able to transport yourself, get a ride, access medical transportation through your insurance or use public transportation to attend an IOP
What will my session at an IOP be like?
- Most IOPs only provide group therapy, but some programs include individual therapy or skill-coaching sessions
- The first step to getting started in most IOP programs is to call the program to schedule an intake appointment
How long does an IOP last?
- IOPs typically meet three to five days a week for three to four hours a day over the course of five to eight weeks
- Most IOPs hold meetings during the day or evening