Thank you for your interest in the University Medical Center Brackenridge Teen Summer Volunteer Program!
In order to become a Teen Volunteer for the Summer 2014 Program, you must be 15 years old as of June 1, 2014. This is a hospital policy, and we are unable to make any exceptions. In addition, you must be willing to fully commit to our 8-week program which will run from the week of June 9th to August 1st, 2014. We will allow for one week vacation time over the summer, but we must be notified two weeks prior to the vacation date, so we can notify your service area of your absence.
Due to popularity of the program, open slots fill quickly.
SERVICE AREAS and EXPECTED TASKS:
greeting, ushering, transporting, and making deliveries to guests throughout the hospital
assist nursing staff by creating patient information packets
Paul Bass Clinic
front window greeting, escorting patients, assisting / transporting medical records, clerical support (filing, printing, patient packets, reports, phones)
The Specialty Clinics
The Shivers Oncology Clinic
- Applications can be submitted BEGINNING Monday, April 7th, 2014 starting at 12:00 a.m., midnight.
- Download the application
- Make sure that there are NO blanks AND that it is signed by parent AND applicant
- Scan the completed application
- E-mail the document as an attachment to Martinez
- Please DO NOT hand-deliver or fax the application
- Allow office staff the time to send an auto-reply regarding receipt of application…this should be completed by 5:00 p.m. on the day submitted
- At least 40 of the first applications received, based on time stamp, are reviewed in search for the first 20 viable applicants to move on to be interviewed for approximately 15 positions.
- Applications will be reviewed and evaluated
- You will receive either a declination notice or an invite to interview via e-mail by Thursday, April 10th
- At interview, you’ll be asked to hand-deliver:
- 1 completed, stamped / signed, and sealed recommendation form
- Current, official, high school transcript in a stamped / signed and sealed envelope
- After the interviews, those chosen will be notified by e-mail and invited to orientation on Saturday, May 17th.
- Please do not apply if you cannot attend, no exceptions will be made
- For those that do not hear back, we thank you for your interest and encourage you to re-apply next year.
HEALTH REQUIREMENTSShould you be accepted for the summer program, you will be required to submit the following health records by Monday, May 12, 2014. There will be no exceptions or extensions made. They may be hand-delivered to the Volunteer Services Office located at 601 E. 15th Street or scanned and e-mailed to Martinez only when complete.
- Immunization Records
- MMR – Measles, Mumps, Rubella
- Varicella – Chicken Pox (either history of disease or immunization + booster)
- If records cannot be located, a titer – a blood test for concentrations of these immunizations – will need to be performed
- Students are responsible for meeting these requirements via personal physician
- TB Tests
- A copy of TB screening results done after April 1st, 2014
Again, thank you for your interest in our program. We look forward to receiving your application and wish you the best of luck!