In 2011, the Seton Healthcare Family adopted Relationship-Based Care (RBC) as its professional practice model. This model guides us in caring for ourselves, our co-workers and, most important, patients and families throughout the continuum of care.
Relationship-Based Care is built on these assumptions:
- The essence of caring is in human connections.
- Everyone has a valuable contribution to make.
- Relationships between patients, families and caregivers are at the heart of care delivery.
- Knowledge of self and self-care is vital to caring for others.
- Empowerment and ownership of work is foundational.
- People will change when they are inspired through a shared vision, when the infrastructure supports the change and when they see evidence of success.
RBC Schematic model: The Relationship-Based Care schematic model is constructed of connected circles within a circle, with a visual reminder that the patient and family is in the center of our concern. Each of the smaller circles represents one of the components of the professional practice model.