The Department of Pharmacy provides integrated, cost-effective pharmaceutical services to the Seton Healthcare Family. The services are patient focused and include medication delivery, therapeutic recommendations and promotion of optimal drug therapy.
To advance its mission, the department provides a supportive environment for professional training and development.
Inpatient Pharmacy Services
Inpatient pharmacy services are provided by clinical pharmacists 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Inpatient distribution is done primarily through automated devices (omnicell) on all nursing units. The clinical pharmacist must have reviewed the order before the nurse can obtain the dose for administration.
Seton Central Outpatient Pharmacy at University Medical Center at Brackenridge
The Outpatient Pharmacy can fill prescriptions received at discharge from all Seton hospitals and clinics. It is located on the lower level off the visitor elevator and is open Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., and weekends and holidays, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- reviewing patient medication regimens
- screening new orders for potential problems such as drug allergies, drug interactions, intravenous (IV) incompatibilities, and the need for dose adjustments. Physicians are informed of potential problems and alternatives.
- round with many of the medical teams to provide drug information and monitor patients’ responses to their medications.
- actively involved in monitoring antibiotic therapy, total parenteral nutrition (TPN) therapy, IV therapy, and any medications that require additional laboratory monitoring such as warfarin, phenytoin, and certain antibiotics.
- provide patient education in-house and at discharge upon request.
Chart notes by pharmacists contain information regarding compliance assessment, patient education, pharmacokinetic dosing adjustments, renal dosing recommendations, or other information related to a patient’s medication therapy.
Seton Healthcare Family pharmacy department participates in the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) Residency program.