Changing the Experience of Surgery
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with a condition that may require surgery, you owe it to yourself to learn about all of your medical options. The da Vinci Surgical System puts a surgeon’s hands at the controls of a state-of-the-art robotic platform.
The da Vinci Surgical System enables surgeons to perform even the most complex and delicate procedures through very small incisions with incredible precision, therefore offering patients a surgical option for certain conditions that is at the forefront of technology, proven effective, and minimally invasive. The da VinciSurgical System is improving patient experiences and outcomes by fundamentally changing surgery in three ways:
- Simplifies many existing minimally invasive procedures. Many surgical procedures performed today using standard laparoscopic technique may be performed more quickly and easily using the da Vinci Surgical System. This is because the da Vinci System delivers increased clinical capability while maintaining the same “look and feel” of open surgery.
- Makes difficult minimally invasive surgical procedures more routine.Traditional laparoscopy has never been widely applied outside a limited set of routine procedures. Only a select group of highly skilled surgeons routinely attempt complex procedures using a minimally invasive approach. The da Vinci Surgical System finally allows more surgeons to perform complex procedures using a minimally invasive approach routinely and with confidence.
- Makes new minimally invasive surgical procedures possible. A number of procedures that could not be performed using traditional laparoscopic techniques can now be performed using the da Vinci Surgical System. The advanced feature set and extensive EndoWrist instrumentation of the da Vinci System enable surgeons to perform more procedures through 1-2 cm incisions.
By enhancing surgical capabilities, patients who experience the da Vinci Surgical System may realize the following benefits:
- Reduced trauma to the body and significantly less pain
- Less blood loss and need for transfusions
- Minimal scarring
- Less risk of infection
- Quicker recovery and return to normal activities
- And in many cases, better clinical outcomes
Seton Medical Center Austin is especially proud to be home to the first dual console da Vinci Surgical System in Central Texas. Known as the Si System, it is the world’s only robotic surgical System with 3D HD vision allowing the user even greater insight and accuracy. The dual console capability also enables two surgeons to collaborate during a procedure and exchange control of the instrument arms and endoscope.
Seton Austin has specialists certified to apply the da Vinci System to certain cardiothoracic, general, gynecologic and urologic surgical procedures. You may find details of each by following the navigation on the right.
While clinical studies support the effectiveness of the da Vinci System when used in minimally invasive surgery, individual results may vary. Surgery with the da Vinci Surgical System may not be appropriate for every individual. Always ask your doctor about all treatment options, as well as their risks and benefits.