(HealthDay News) -- Nothing can ruin a nice summer evening faster than being bitten by bugs.
The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests how to take the sting out of those itchy or painful bumps:
- Use calamine lotion liberally, taking care to avoid the eyes and genitals.
- Apply a cold compress to areas that are irritated.
- For bee or wasp stings, soak a cloth in cold water and hold over the sting.
- Promptly remove a stinger if stung by a bee to stem the release of venom.
- Consult a doctor before applying any other treatments, or if itching is severe.
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.