(HealthDay News) - Teach young children to help protect their teeth and gums, and these early habits may last a lifetime.
The American Dental Association offers these suggestions:
- Fill bottles with only breast milk, milk or formula. Don't give baby juice, soft drinks or other sweetened beverages.
- Don't let baby take a bottle to bed. The bottle should be finished first.
- Offer a plain pacifier, never one that's been dipped in anything sweet.
- Teach your child to drink from a regular cup by age 1. Avoid sippy cups.
- Only offer sweets occasionally. Instead, give your child nutritious snacks.
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.