(HealthDay News) -- Produce can harbor germs that can make you sick, so it's important to prepare these foods properly.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these suggestions:
- Just before you eat them, wash all vegetables and fruits with cool tap water.
- Scrub firm produce (such as melons) with a produce brush. Rinse softer produce with plain water.
- Throw away the outer leaves of a head of lettuce.
- If you see any damaged or bruised spots on your produce, cut them out and discard.
- Use a paper towel or clean dish towel to dry produce.
- Cook any raw sprouts before eating.